Monday, May 20, 2013

We're Professionals at Relaxing

This was definitely the most chill day of the entire trip thus far, as we camped out by a pool at what could be best described as a country club.  Upon arrival, we were ushered to the food area, where we were given a drink and an (another) empanada.  I was disappointed to find that this empanada was the traditional one, as I have already had this several times and it's not exactly my favorite.  There is one olive and one hard boiled egg, and the rest, I believe, is onion and some sort of meat.  I typically pick the olive and egg out immediately, and nibble on the remaining empanada.  After the food, I got as comfortable as you can get laying on concrete, and fell asleep listening to Karen's ipod.  When I awoke,  I found mostly everyone was gone (I found out later they played soccer), so I proceeded to grab one of the now available lounge chairs and fell back to sleep.  It was a really nice day as well, so I was in shorts and a T-shirt for the first time in months.  I woke up again, a little red from the sun, and decided to wander to the other pool with Karen, Brendan, Kelsey, and Josh.  Kelsey and I had been dying to play tennis, so we went and asked one of the men working if they had rackets.  Besides me being socially awkward when I didn't know what he meant when he asked me, "How are you today?" (I'm only mentally prepared for a simple "hola"), Kelsey and I proudly understood what he was explaining to us in Spanish.  Unfortunately the place that had the rackets was currently closed, so Kelsey and I laid around the pool for a couple of minutes before I was summoned for a soccer game.  This was a small game, as not as many people wanted to play, but it was still really fun playing with the Chileans.  Even Verner played, and he scored a couple of goals as well!  Finally around 5:30 we all headed out, taking a short walk to Verner's house for a barbecue.  Upon first arriving, we watched Jorge water the plants and we ate grapes straight off the vine as Verner brought out the foosball and pingpong.  We all then joined in a game that consisted of keeping the soccer ball up in the air, and Brice managed to smack the ball in to the next yard, where promptly the dogs ripped the ball apart.  This ended the game, and the weather got cold really quickly.  We headed to the fire, where a chef was cooking hotdogs and skewers of meat, and we were all excited when we finally got to eat (we're always hungry).  Everything was delicious, as per usual, and later in the night Rodolfo, Sebastian, Paula, Ignacio, and others arrived at the party.  After a while of chatting and shivering from the cold, we finally left Verner's house, thanking him for his hospitality.

One of the pools at the country club

Morgan, Jeff, and I hanging out by the pool

The sun setting at Verner's house

No comments:

Post a Comment