Monday, May 20, 2013

Cue Brice's Graduation Song

Today was the final day of this fantastic trip.  I woke up to Brendan knocking on my door at 9:30, like I previously asked him to so that we could make a final trip to the stands on the boardwalk.  We ended up going as a big group to the beach, and we looked around for some final souvenirs.  Unfortunately most of the stand were closed, but we scavenged the stands they had anyway.  Eventually our group broke up into three separate groups, and we ended up meeting at our favorite empanada place for the final 'panadas.  I once again got my favorite type, the shrimp and cheese, and I had a whole ordeal with the people ordering because they thought I ordered ham and cheese.  (Jamon, which is ham vs. Camaron, which is shrimp)  Our tummies were happy, but we were all sad to finish our last Chilean meal.  I paid, and the lady at the counter made me say "camaron" a million times, and went next door to the bakery.  We all bought a final panqueque, and then we headed back to the hotel.  I was mostly packed at that point, so I joined Matt in the courtyard for some Chilean dancing.  I ate my panqueque, and we all whined together about how much we're going to miss this place.  Everyone was also freaking out about how much their luggage weighed, so we all used Justine's scale to make sure we were under the 50 pound limit.  We gathered in the sunroom, crowded together due to the many suitcases, and we were all informed that we couldn't take our beans home.  This was extremely disappointing news, as I had to go through my suitcase to find this can of beans, and by the time I found it the bus had arrived.  We went to the bus, gave the driver our luggage, and sat looking longingly out the windows.  The Chilean students who came to say goodbye stood outside crowded together, all waving goodbye.  This was definitely the saddest moment of the trip and I'm not going to lie, I totally teared up a bit.  This was such an incredible experience and I learned not only about Chile, but about various business and engineering topics.  The memories I made and the people I met will be unforgettable, and I'm already missing all the stray dogs on the street.

Visiting the Vina del Mar's beach a final time

Farewell, OK Mart.  You will be missed.

1 comment: