Friday, May 10, 2013

Lectures Galore!


Today was a lovely lecture day, as it was so nice to take a break from hiking up mountains and through cities.  It was hard waking up in the morning as usual, but we hopped on the bus for another pleasant ride to the university.  Our lecturer, Jose Luis, was extremely nice, and gave a very interesting presentation.  The people working at the university never fail to impress me with the knowledge they possess.  Their English is very good, and they answer all our questions with detail.  The presentation covered a wide range of subjects, my favorite being Chilean music.  I really enjoyed Francisca Valenuela’s cover of Violeta Parra’s song “Run Run,” and I loved watching Claudio Arrau play piano since I play piano myself.  The natural disaster section of the presentation was also extremely interesting, and it was crazy to hear where Jose was when the earthquake in 2010 occurred.  We learned what to do if there was an earthquake, and watched several videos of previous ones.  In addition to these topics, we also covered Chilean history, literature, geography, tourism, art and culture.  Jose also asked us for our input, and we discussed the differences between the United States and Chile.   If I ever forget that I am in Chile, I am easily reminded upon seeing another stray dog roaming the streets.  After the lecture concluded, we headed back to Hotel America.  The Chilean students will be picking us up soon to take us out for the night!

Jeff enjoying some delicious chips during our lecture break

Can't get enough of that cafeteria food

No comments:

Post a Comment